Tuesday, May 16, 2006

An Encounter!!!

We were done for the day (night would be more appropriate). A nice, yet stinky Marine Drive breeze hitting our faces as we were lazily trying to move on. Rishi’s treat at Pizza Hut was yet to get digested. At least that was so in my case! We had refreshed ourselves by little cuttings and a strong coffee. Pooja and I were supposed to head towards VT (now CST) and the rest towards Churchgate.

Suddenly, a family of three approaches us. A 30-something man, a lady and a child. The lady is holding a little bag and the child’s hand is firmly gripped on his dad’s. The man closes in on Rishi and all of us are almost certain he is here asking for directions. But to our surprise, he asks the birthday boy, who turned 22, for some money. Apparently, the family hadn’t eaten anything! Rishi just nods his head giving a reply in the negative, the reason for which is in his blog. The man looked disappointed. Home-bound people, meanwhile, are trying to cross the road. I can’t help but feel extremely bad for the family. ‘They look hungry and lost,’ I think aloud besides adding aloud to my friends, “I feel bad yaar.” I understand why Rishi denied giving them a helping hand. These days, whom do you actually trust and believe? Rishi’s earlier experience had taught him a few lessons. He wasn’t going to make the same mistake again. But, as all of us somehow crossed the road, my mind is deeply troubled. From across the road, I see the family approaching a couple facing the sea. The couple also seemed reluctant to help. They get up and walk away. The family sits down facing the road watching the speeding vehicles in front of them. My eyes go back time and again to the three especially to the little thing sitting between his parents. “I am feeling really bad yaar. I feel like I should give them something!” Mayura and Pooja tell me to “go ahead.” But at the back of my mind, I am also wary of the fact that you can’t trust every person and especially here in this great city. I finally heed to my friends and instincts and cross back walking towards the sea-phase. The man sees me approaching. He’s sharing a packet of mixture with his family. I suddenly feel a ray of hope in that man’s eyes as he sees me get closer to him. I had already removed a ten-rupee bill from my wallet and kept it in my hand. I am about a hand’s distance away from the man as I hold out the bill to him. He takes it willingly, folds it in half and keeps it in his shirt pocket. I ask him his whereabouts and how he landed up in Mumbai. I learn that he is from this place called Yavatmaal and had come to Mumbai to meet his brother. But his brother, in the meantime, had gone to Manmad and he had no clue where he lived. ‘How can someone come to this huge city without even knowing where he lived?’ I ponder. But at the very next moment I realize that this is after all Mumbai. He continues that he needs about 150 bucks per person to reach his place. And they were chucked off from the train by a TC as the trio was traveling ticketless. “Now we don’t have money to eat. Only if we could get money to buy one ticket, we could have adjusted.” I sense that he expects more than the tenor I gave him. A thought crosses my mind whether I should part with another tenor. But I decide it is best for that tenor to remain untouched for the time being in my wallet. I just vaguely say something and heads back towards my friends standing on the other side. I say to Vanessa, “I might as well be fooled rather than feel bad for not having done anything.” After hearing their story, I am a little put off, although deep within I don’t know whether to accept what that guy said whole-heartedly.
I am still not sure whether what I did was the right thing. All I knew is, I had parted with ten bucks and that, considering the situation, didn’t mean big to me. I had much more in my wallet. I don’t even know if what I did was charity. But I definitely know that it made me feel slightly better. As I walked back with my friends, I kept thinking ‘we had filled our stomachs with food that cost us more than half a grand.’ It made me think about all the other families. Then, realization dawned. I shouldn’t really be going too far thinking about other such families struggling for money. An example of that, was in my very home. My dad in his youth! It made my eyes dense. But I concealed it pretty well and made sure the liquid doesn’t roll over to my cheek, as the birthday boy walking alongside me was on the phone answering yet another birthday wish!


(My dad’s story is stuff for a later blog)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

sir, much as our posts may be different in view from each other, at the end of the day, i respect u for that one line, “I might as well be fooled rather than feel bad for not having done anything.” (i might sound like watever here, but i hope u respect my opinions on the matter as well! :))

but again, my idea wasnt the me getting fooled part, it was the people stooping to those limits. my dad's story isnt a very pleasant one to hear, but i wud suppose, at the end of the day, its about being ur own self and setting things straight on ur own!

waddya say!?

Blessen said...

I totally respect u for ur opinions mate!!! In fact, I hope I didnt put u in a bad light after that post... coz i felt u were totally justified in what u did!!!

P2C2U said...

I see your point..and I see Rishi's point as well.
One of the problems with our times is that people don't care enough..not enough to make a difference, at least. ( I admit I'm among the guilty!)
I respect the fact that you care...

Blessen said...

Hey Pooja,
I never felt any of u guys were guilty!!! And if that last post made u feel that I felt that way abt u guys, then i am a really bad writer!!! I did mention that u guys gave me the 'go ahead' signal!!! I see no wrongs in what any of us did!!!
And thanks for ur kind words!!!

Anonymous said...

Puj, u manage to hit the nail bang on the head always, most don't care these days! I wouldn't (without lies or hypocricy) put myself in that bunch, cuz I think if I saw an old wamn on the street, then I would help her as much as I can.

And Blessy boy, no one's blaming you for putting us/me in bad light or anything! Its just that we think that people should start caring for others now!

And yeah, stop being so formal BLEDDY DONGEY!

Anonymous said...

Hey Blessy!!
As i was going thru ur post, i just remembered alot of other similar instances wherein ppl try to play on ur sympathies....i dunno which cases are genuine and which ones are the wrk of con artists, bt i do kno zat by helping out, u make urself feel better. I personlly don't like giving money, but prefer to give some edible items. However, that's not feasible all the time.
anyhow,i guess wat matters at the end of the day is that you shld be able to be at peace with urself....

P.S: im not the same as the cowardly "anon"....and a word of advice to "anon"....as said in Bambi.." If u don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all!!"

Blessen said...

2 Rishi... sorry saar wont repeat the mistake!!!
2 Anjali... i agree yaar... eventually its the peace of mind that matters... and abt that anon person, well i think he/she's dead and buried as u mite have read in one of my previous post!!!