Saturday, November 29, 2008

Siege and after...

As the siege on Mumbai ended, honestly, I don’t know what to write, for I now have mixed emotions. Relieved, disappointed, frustrated, saddened all rolled into one. Add a little bit of anger to that as well.

Relieved, cause’ I was just one phone call away from being a part of not-at-all desirable drama at VT (not CST). I got out of office at 740 pm. Took out my cell to call up a friend, who I was supposed to meet the previous day. Kept my phone back in my pocket, and told myself, “Some other day!” Caught a train back home at 8 pm. One and a half hour later, the station had become a war-zone.

Relieved also, cause’ it’s finally over!

Disappointed, cause’ yet again an intelligence failure, yet again a security lapse and yet again, Mumbai – my favourite city - fell prey!

Frustrated, cause’ I could just sit at home and do nothing, but watch the drama unfold on CNN IBN and Times Now.

Saddened, cause’ some of Mumbai’s and country’s heroes, other than the common man of course, fell victims to this dastardly act.

And angered, cause’ finger-pointing, blame-game and politicizing began even as brave-hearts were still fighting it out inside Taj, Oberoi and Nariman!

A friend told me, we must catch these terrorists alive and cruelly torture them in full public view. “It just won’t work. These guys would consider this a privilege to be tortured to death. Remember, they came to kill and to get killed,” I told her. Interestingly though, today’s Mirror’s lead story revealed this didn’t hold completely true. On seeing his colleague’s mutilated body, the terrorist caught suddenly “wanted to live!”

As is always the case, everything will soon be forgotten. The oft used and now abused phrase “Spirit of Mumbai” will re-emerge! We used it after the '92 serial blasts. We used it after July 26. We used it after 7/11. And am afraid we are gonna use this term again! And now I'm beginning to wonder if this is more a matter of the ‘paapi pet’ than the so-called spirit. Indeed it’s all about filling one’s tummy! 

The sacrifices of the few heroes will soon be forgotten. For public memory is short! It’s even shorter in Mumbai!

All I can do is hope and pray that we don't need another November 26, 2008 to remind us of November 26, 2008!!!

PS: Like many Mumbaikars, even I got this particular message about Where is Mr. Raj Thackarey now? As NSG commandos (most of them North Indians) battle it out to save Mumbai, where are the MNS and SS now who only knows to destroy and create havoc on the innocent folks!
- Good point, and taken too

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

To begin with, I need to apologize for staying away from your blog for so long, and to justify, I must say that I haven't been around on mine for a while either!

To come to the point that makes me write this comment, 'The spirit of Mumbai' has always been a phrase I have much hated, and I know I'm writing this to you, but I love this city equally, if not more. Although, this is a phrase that don't make no sense to me. What else is the financial capital expected to do after a calamity? It's not a matter of spirit, Blessy, it's a matter of, 'I know I could die, but that ain't gonna stop me from earning that all-important salary!' As for more on this subject, I'm presently in the middle of writing on my own blog...

Anonymous said...

Hey Mallu, I completely agree with you on this front. Was just reading Anil Thakraney's blog where he claims he wants to start some 'action' to get the govt to mend their ways. I have nothing against blogging. I however, got one bone to pick with people who feel 'anguished' about the 'War' on Mumbai.
What happens to the times that Pakistani militants and Bangladehi militants (and lately Chinese Soldiers)hop across our borders for their 'freedom' struggle. Why does no one attempt to blog about those matters? Is it because people aren't scared coz it happens miles and miles away? I think it is time that we wake up to an attack and react the same way, irrespective of whether it happens in Bombay or in J&K.
Ive got nothing against what you have writted...feel as violated as you...but I think it is time that we stopped taking our jawans for granted!!!

P2C2U said...

I agree with Rishi. I'm so sick of hearing about 'the spirit of Mumbai' and the 'resilience of mumbaikars.' I know I've been in the city for a very short while, but I love it and it broke my heart to see it being battered by those madmen. And it makes me madder that a lot of the actual madmen who cause constant damage to our city are the ones who are so-called Mumbaikars themselevs.

I honestly have no solution to offer, except a revolution

Blessen said...

@Rishi and Pooja,

I agree! The 'spirit' I mentioned was more a sarcasm than the actual thing itself! Honestly, it's just about surviving in a costly city, more than just 'resilience'!

@Carlo,

Indeed, we cry and raise our voice only when something affects us directly (as is the case with my blog now). I agree with u completely bro! But one other reason why I don't write about the intrusion of those jerks to our country is because I just don't have much info! And that's thanks to me myself, for not having taken much interest! But I've read and seen little about it! Or maybe I've just missed that part!

And yes, you can soon expect to see another blogging on a different type of "terrorism"! Watch this space!

Anonymous said...

"Speechless!!" is how reacted. But that shouldn't stop us from doing something about it. I mean all of us are definitely impacted(in some way) if not aggravated. And as P2C2U mentioned n Blessen seconded..this melancholic incident calls for a revolution. As of yet I cant come up with anything near to the solution. And its not just me, its a team effort.
I do salute each and every person that was involved who put their lives in danger to save the lives of the victims, from the cops to the commandos to the hotel staff even to the mumbaikars who helped the afflicted to medical aid.

Gopinath Mavinkurve said...

Hi, Congrats, your blog got mentioned in the expressindia.com site. Thats where I came from. We hope that as you rightly put it we shouldnt need another 26th Nov for remembering this 26th Nov. Hopefully there will be pressure groups and task forces set up to ensure some real action on the security front. VVIPs will get Z security while common man will get ZZZZZZzzzzz... security. Anyway if you need some humor for a break from it all, do visit my blog!

Unknown said...

Hey Blessen just read your blog, must say completely agree with what you have mentioned specially how we have as individuals have always had the hota hain chalta hain attitude, moved on with our lives for our livelihood. Politicians their comments and actions have just shown a picture of our political and national scenario (since they are our leaders). Less said the better...

What touched me the most was the lives that were lost. Mainly because of our inability to handle crisis in case of terrorist attacks, it has just proven how vulnerable we are and how inadequately armed our police is. While watching the telecast on television helplessly,thanking my guardian angels and wishing them to protect and save the victims, I realized our police carrying rifles whereas those guys had AK47's and we have the audacity to blame them. Troops took time to be deployed and their was a mismanagement of sorts.

Just to add the story that touched me the most was baby Mosche's.
Since I work in colaba and had seen the Rabbi so many times with a group of about 10/15 people all walking down the street returning from their evening service. He and his wife were really warm people and always returned smiles to us. Although had never spoken to him the thought of him being so brutally killed for no apparent reason, his son orphaned a day before his birthday..Just shows inhumanity to the core.Its so painful to think that I will never see the Rabbi or his wife and perhaps none of those people with warm smiles walk down the streets anymore.

I hope this time since the influential people were targeted government will take some steps to atleast prevent such attacks.