Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The 'Other Side' of being Blessen!!!

“Someone told me that a few years back, you were arrogant. Is it true?” A friend messaged me a couple of days ago. It got me thinking! Who was I arrogant against? Only when I realized who that ‘someone’ was did I know why he would have said so.

The first time he had seen me was at a camp, when we played basketball! And in that game, I was getting on my opponents nerves and this guy happened to be in that team!

People know me as a calm and cool customer, someone who never gets angry! But those that have seen me play any game on the ground would know that I am diametrically opposite to what I am otherwise! But fortunately, only a few have had that ‘privilege’! I get extremely aggressive and argumentative. If I see something unfair happening, then I raise my decibels to a not-so-desired level! I play to win. Period. I am a very bad loser. That explains why I’ve cried a few times after ending up on the losing side. But I do believe I am a good winner!

My friends hate me when I am playing cricket (or any other sport), but only if I happen to be in their opponent’s team! The first time Carlo and Anish played against me was when we played some friendly matches and called it Mallus versus Non-mallus. Anish happened to say something when I was bowling and immediately I burst out with some really rash and harsh words! And every time I took a wicket, I had aggression and anger written all over my face. I batted with venom that day! I don’t know what got into me but Carlo and Anish were not amused and they made that clear later on! Even I was embarrassed after it all!

I wasn’t going to change though! Because I am quite sure the same two loved it when they played for the team I skippered, in a box cricket tournament in college. In a game, I got quite angry with the umpires and used some choicest words. Well, not exactly! Because I would rather die than use abusive words. And me being me, there’s no question of me picking up a physical fight either! So, these were just in the form of ‘rude’ (for want of a better term) words! “Dude, you need better glasses,”, “They’ve paid you or something,” “Try umpiring in a game of marbles”—just examples of an array of words I used on the umpires!

Maybe I have taken inspiration from Sourav Ganguly! Maybe I am just over-passionate about winning! But on a sports field, I might never change, even if it is just a friendly game! Maybe that is why God never made me a sportsman!!! He didn’t want people to hate me!!! If my first meeting with all my friends was on a sports field, I wonder if they would ever have wanted to meet me! I guess I am arrogant after all, but only when I am playing something on a sports ground!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well it wasnt as long as i expected!! :) You know what, rather than me reading, I think you better let all your proj members have a glance at this "arrogant" side of Blessen before tomorrows game :) :)

P2C2U said...

Nobody is ever the same person all the time. We all have so many different sides to us. I guess it's just part of how we deal with different situations.

Some Name said...

so this is the other side of my sweet friend Blessen?!! well, all i can say is that its not worse than mine.. :)