Monday, July 03, 2006

A Shoulder To Lean On!

There are times when one desires to be close to someone. Someone who would listen to you—your ramblings and cribbing. Someone on whose shoulder you can lean on and cry your heart out. Someone, who can pick you up when you are down. A close friend, with whom you can pour your heart out. I had gone through similar cravings. But those remained just that, cravings until I came to a beautiful realisation of that Someone who I know will always be there!

Many a time, this thin shoulder of mine has been a place where a head leaned on and some tears found a resting place. My ears have been a recipient of a lot of stories that flowed along with the liquid of the eye.

There were times when at the point of breaking down, I always somehow manage to keep it within myself. I know the friends that I can rely on will all be there for me, but they are at most times, a little too far for comfort.

This is when I stumble upon the beautiful hymn:

What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and grieves to bear,
Oh what privilege to carry?
Everything to Lord in prayer!

Oh, what peace we often forfeit?
Oh what needless pain we bear?
All because we do not carry,
Everything to Lord in prayer!

Can we find a friend so faithful,
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness
Take it to the Lord in prayer


The hymn has been my ultimate encourager! And when I started sharing all my sorrows to God, I felt someone not just lending me a shoulder, but carrying me on it. When I was down, He lifted me up and when I was empty, He filled my cup. I felt lighter and from that point on, a smile always lingered on some corner of my face. One of my closest friends once asked me, “Blessen, how do you manage to have a smile even when you don’t go through the best of times?” It was the comfort of God at play!

18 comments:

Sheeba said...

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with comfort we ourselves have received from God. 2 Cor. 1 : 3

One thing i should say blessen... whenever i read a post of urs it leaves me with no words at all... they way u write them... oh awesome... really proves that u are a great writer/ journalist/ watever... Praise God for ur talents n d person u are...

btw..what a friend we have in Jesus.. wat an amazing song that one... my moms fav one too!!

Blessen said...

thanks a lot sheeba... u r just over praising me here!!!! but ya... it is a God given talent... hope i can use it for His glory and inrease it!!

Hymn is a real 'heart-toucher'!!! i love it and even 'Then Sings my Soul, my Saviour God to Thee'!!!!

Feni said...

Wonderful post Blessen...It talked to me much!!!thanks:)
Yes...HE is our comfort, friend and guide...I realised,even when i run away from HIM, it is HIS hands which pulls me bak into HIS arms..Thanks be to God!!
You are blessed with a good hand..A great post Blessen..Be blessed!!:)
love and prayers,
Feni

Blessen said...

Thanks a lot Feni...
God bless you!!!
A True Friend indeed!!!

Feni said...

My day is not going fine as I expected Blessen!!Feeling deserted..Soon,remembered this blog of yours...now visiting and reading it again...my eyes clouded with tears...Highly comforting...Please pray that I should come more closer to God!!

~feni

Blessen said...

ok feni.. will pray... pls read further in my blog... u'll find a post on one of my friends abt he was touched by God!!!

Anonymous said...

You really don't know who the hell i am. I really don't know who you are.

But i dropped in to say 2 words.

"Thank you"

Blessen said...

Mr/Ms. Anonymous,

Whoever you are mate, I reckon the 'Thank you' was cause' this blog did help you latch onto something and I believe that something was Lord Jesus' shoulder! If only you could reveal your true identity!!! Thank you also mate, for visiting this blog!!!! Jesus Loves you!

Anonymous said...

That was a hymn I knew well in both mallu and english..

It gives a feeling of hope and contentment when i sing it, when I think nobody else is there for me, I'm all alone...there is Jesus, my savior and my friend.

:) :)
preetha

sylvina said...

Lovely Mr.Blessen!!!!..this is one of my favourite songs...:)...you know everytime people feel lonely and empty and tend to reach out to someone to lend their shoulders,but in vain!...they fail to remember that our Father up above keeps waiting for us to run to him,to remove that pain and fill it with joy & ofcourse what better way to take it to Jesus than in prayers...:)
thanks for sharing...:)

Blessen said...

Dear Sylvina,

I have absolutely no idea who you are, but here's a counter thank you for visiting this blog. Just re-read my own post, and it reminded me that I have HIM as my friend always! Oh, what a friend I have in JESUS!

Regards,
Blessen

sylvina said...

Your most welcome...:)
and yeah...here's cheers to our common friend!!!!!!...:)..;)

Jemy said...

Lovely...keep writing more for Him....

Blessen said...

Thanks da Jemy!

Blessen said...

Surprisingly, I'd written this more than 5 years ago and this is still so applicable today.

sylvina said...

Not at all surprising for me bro.....it will be applicable for eternity....:)come on!..its JESUS we are talking about here..:)

Blessen said...

Agree sis! :)

Sherin-unbeatable said...

Worth reading.